Monday, August 10, 2015

DIY Succulent Terrarium Tutorial - Four Easy Steps

I love the look of those trendy succulent terrariums but all the ones I've seen that I like are $40 or more, so I set out to make my own and spent less than $20. Here's how I made mine in case you want to make your own. 


Here's what you'll need:


1. a glass container. I used this fish bowl I already had from when I had a pet fish a few years ago (RIP Sam Beam the fish) so I spent nothing on this, but you can get glass containers of various shapes and sizes at any dollar store. 

2. Soil. They make soil specifically for succulents. It is drier so it doesn't retain water as much as regular soil, but to keep this project as cheap as possible I just used standard potting soil that I already had. I will just water my plants less frequently so the soil can dry out between waterings.


3. small rocks. I had these from before (they were at the bottom of my fish bowl) but I think you could probably get these quite cheap at a dollar store or WalMart, or if that fails any pet store. 


4. succulents. I got the three potted ones at Home Depot for around $5 each, and the little spindly ones laying on the table I already had. I got all of them for $1 earlier in the summer at a garden sale. I just pulled them out of the pot I had them in to put them into the terrarium.
You can get succulents relatively cheap at pretty much any garden or plant store. I recommend choosing a few different ones that you think are cool looking and pick ones that look healthy. 



5. larger stones, shells, or crystals - whatever you want to decorate your terrarium with.
These really make a difference. I had the three black stones from my old fish tank, Stephen bought that ammonite in Banff last spring, and the pink stone is rose quartz and was a favor at my sister's wedding earlier this month.

Here's how you make it: 


1. Put the tiny rocks on the bottom of your container. This will help with water drainage so the soil will not stay soaking wet and rot the roots of the plants.


2. Put soil on top of the rocks. 


3. Arrange your succulents how you want them. 
You don't have to plant these things too deep, they will take root easily.




4. Arrange your larger stones/shells crystals how you want them.
See what I mean about these decorative items making a big difference?


And that's it! It's done!
Succulents do not need a lot of light or a lot of water, they are pretty easy to care for. If you put them in full sun for the entire day they will get burned so place in a spot with medium-low light and spritz with water a few days after soil dries out.

I love the way my terrarium turned out. I think it looks just as good as some of the ones I've seen people charging upwards of $40 for, and I like mine better because of the personal touches the ammonite and rose quartz give it.

I put the extra plants into this cute little pot I had! 



No comments:

Post a Comment