Thursday, May 14, 2015

Bout of Books: Book Haiku & Modern to Classic

I am having a lot of fun participating in Bout of Books this week!
I did not do the challenge on Tuesday, but yesterday's challenge was to write a haiku about one of the books you're reading for the read-a-thon. I submitted my haiku as a comment on the post, but wanted to share it here, as well.
I am 7 hours into the audio book of The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith and that's the book  I wrote my haiku about.

Missing person case.
Detective Strike strikes again.
Where is Mr Quine?

Today's challenge is to choose a book published in or after 2005 and give two reasons why you think it will be a classic in 100 years.

I think The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (pub. 2008) will be considered a classic in 100 years.


My reasons are:
1. The book is set in the future.
People love to read old books that are set in the future to see how well the book predicted the future and how society has changed, what's alike and different, etc. 1984 and Brave New World are considered classics 70-80 years after their initial publication. The Hunger Games series re-launched the dystopian future genre.

2. The book is about young people.
Books that are considered classics are often taught in schools and teachers usually try to choose books they think students will relate to. Many classics have characters who are children or teenagers: Romeo and Juliet, Lord of the Flies, To Kill a Mockingbird, Catcher in the Rye. 

People's responses to this challenge are really interesting, so I recommend you check out the comments on the post here. 

I am going to finish my physical book tonight and maybe start my ebook!
I decided to read A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway. I bought it in Paris in July 2013 and have never read it. I am really enjoying it. I have about 80 pages left. So I'm off to do that!

1 comment:

  1. Lots of people have said the Hunger Games, but no one has pointed out that the fact that it is set in the future is a good thing! I agree completely. For me, part of the allure of reading a book like 1984 is that I want to see what people in the past thought the world would be like! I like that you thought about that as a positive, and not that people wouldn't be interested because it didn't come to fruition! Thanks for participating in the challenge, and I hope you enjoy the rest of the readathon!

    ReplyDelete