Sunday, March 8, 2015

Book Recommendations for International Womens' Day

In honour of International Women's Day today I want to share some of my favourite books about girls and women written by women. These are the girls and ladies who raised me.


Anne of Green Gables series by L. M. Montgomery. 
This was my favourite book as a child. I was obsessed with the entire series. When I was 12 I travelled to Prince Edward Island with my parents and we did everything Anne. We went to the musical, we went to the town of Avonlea, we went to the actual Green Gables house. It was amazing.
Anne Shirley/Blythe is an imaginative, stubborn, smart, funny girl and the series follows her life from childhood to middle age, from when she moves to PEI at age 11, through her university experience, to her life as a mother. It is a great series, with awesome characters and great female role models. 


The Babysitters Club series by Ann M. Martin.
This was my shiz when I was a kid. I probably read every single book in the series, and there are hundreds. The books are about seven pre-teen girls who create their own babysitting business in their town. The characters are all individuals and Martin doesn't rely on "types." Each book in the series is narrated from the perspective of one of the girls. The books chronicle their babysitting adventures, as well as their friendship. The girls help each other through life and support each other with school struggles, boy drama, health problems, and family issues. It is such a positive series for young people. Note: many of the books were ghost-written, some were written by men, but the first 50-some books were written by Martin and all the characters were created by her.



The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series by Ann Brashares. 
This series is about four teenage girls who are best friends facing their first summer apart. They find a pair of pants in a thrift shop that magically fits them all despite them being different sizes and body types. They use the pants to stay connected when they are apart. Each book follows all four girls, and the series follows them from high school to college. The last book, Sisterhood Everlasting is set much later, when the girls are all adults. I'd say it's skippable but the first two books of the series especially are well-written and the characters are very well developed and relatable. 


Anna and the French Kiss, Lola and Boy Next Door, and Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins.
I didn't read these books when I was younger because they only came out in the last few years, but they remind me a lot of books I loved when I was younger. You can read my review of the first in the series here. Each of these books focuses on a different main character, but the characters in all three books are connected in some way. Each of the girls is a unique person with her own interests, problems, and goals. While each book focuses on a love story, the books are also about the character development of the title characters. Each book is written in first person and there is a lot of self reflection and growth in the girls. These girls seem like real people who make mistakes and learn and grow, which is so important for young readers.  


Bossypants by Tina Fey, Yes Please by Amy Poehler, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me by Mindy Kaling, Melissa Explains It All by Melissa Joan Hart.

These memoirs are all funny and interesting and all about being a woman and balancing personal and professional lives. I'm interested in all of these womens' lives and work so I really enjoyed all these books.
You can read my review of Bossypants here and my review of Yes Please here. 

Happy International Women's Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment