Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Garden Tour 2014

     Ever since I was a little girl I have loved flowers, and working in the yard with my mom and grandmas.
Two summers ago when I had my own yard for the first time, I couldn't wait to fill it with flowers and try to grow my own food. It was the first summer since my grandma died. When we went to her funeral in July 2011 I took photos of her garden and posted them here. In the summer of 2012 I felt like I was carrying on a tradition when I planted flowers and food in the yard.
     Now, in its third summer, my garden is filling in and growing more independently. I took lots of photos this summer of all the beautiful flowers.
     I wish I could show my grandma my garden and get her advice, but I love sharing it with my mom, my sisters, and my other grandma. And now, with you.
     I've noted the things I planted with * because some of the things were already in the yard when we moved here. You'll notice lots of roses and lilies because those are my favourites.

tree blossoms


bleeding heart* - my sister-in-law's favourite

hosta*

iris* (came from my mom's yard to mine)

petunias*


daisies


?

?

daylily*

roses*

lilies*

spirea bush

I tried to grow strawberries* this year but the birds got to the berries before they were fully ripe.

I did grow peas* again. These are probably about a fifth of the total amount of peas I grew this year.

And I got more raspberries* than last year now that the bushes are maturing!

lilies*

roses*

peony

more lilies*


?

These ones* get the tallest and are so majestic. We refer to them as the queens of the garden.

one of the potentillas* I planted last year flowered this year!
Hopefully all of them will flower next year as they continue to grow.

lily

my sister-in-law got me this plant for my birthday.
It's a type of dianthus* known as "fruit punch flower" because of its scent.

my sister gave me some money for my birthday to buy a plant since she couldn't make it out to our place for a visit this summer. I got this "short 'n' sassy helenium"*

lilies* in the main flowerbed

"The glory of gardening: hands in the dirt, head in the sun, heart with nature. To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." - Alfred Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment