Monday, March 17, 2014

Vegetarian Lasagna Recipe

Most of the recipes I make are from cookbooks, Pinterest, or people I know, but my lasagna recipe is one I made based off some I found. It's similar to some that are out there but unique enough that I thought I'd share it.
*This recipe is vegetarian, not vegan. It contains cheese and egg.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 55 mins.


Ingredients:
Lasagna noodles
1 package veggie ground round (soy ground beef substitute)
1 can tomato sauce (398 mL)
broccoli
red pepper
one egg
mozzarella cheese
 


I like to use the "Italian" flavour ground round and the "Onion, Herbs, and Spices" tomato sauce because it makes the lasagne tasty and I don't have to add any additional spices. 


Steps:
1. Pre-heat oven to 375°

2. Boil some water in a big pot and once it's boiling stick in about 5 or 6 lasagna noodles.
(How many noodles you'll need depends on the size of your casserole dish. I usually only use 5 noodles but I like to make extra just in case.)


3. While your noodles are boiling, prepare all the other ingredients.
Combine the ground round and sauce in a bowl.


4. Dice about a quarter of the pepper and however much broccoli you want. I usually end up with about 2 cups of vegetables once they are diced.
Combine in a bowl with the egg and about a teaspoon of grated mozzarella.
(You can't taste the egg or sense the texture, it's really just to bind the ingredients together.)


5. Grate some cheese. Again, how much you grate depends on how big your lasagna is. I usually just eyeball it and then grate more if I need it.


6. Strain your noodles once they are cooked. 
I like to put mine in the fridge to cool for a bit so I don't burn myself when I'm layering the casserole.


7. Spray an oven-safe casserole dish with cooking spray.
(Optional but I find it makes it easier to serve the lasagna, and easier to clean later. No crusted on cheese.)


8. Now it's time to layer! How you layer is up to you but this is the way I do it: 

1. Sauce. Cover the bottom of the dish. 


2. Noodles 


3. Sauce (just enough to coat the noodles) 


4. Veggies 


5. Cheese 

6. Sauce 

7. Noodles 

8. Sauce (the rest of it) 

9. Cheese (lots of it!) 

This is how the layers look before they are cooked:


Step 10. Bake for 55 minutes.

et Voila!

Serve with partially burnt garlic toast (or whatever you want) and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment