Monday, January 6, 2014

How To Make Winter Feel More Like Summer

"In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer."
- Albert Camus


The past week or so it's been about -35°C with a wind chill here.
Lots of people I know are taking off on holidays to warm, tropical resorts and I am a bit jealous.
If, like me, you aren't able to get away and escape the cold, here are some tips for making the winter feel a bit more summer-y.

1. Enjoy indoor plants. One of my favorite summer hobbies is gardening but I obviously can't do that with 4 feet of snow outside so I tend to my house plants during the winter months and it's like bringing summer inside for a few months.
 

2. Wear bright colors and florals. I like to wear colorful scarves and sweaters so that even when I have to layer up and dress warmly I still feel bright and cheerful. There is actually science behind this.

3. Eat fresh fruit and veggies. We all know fruits and vegetables are super healthy. Citrus fruits in particular are great to eat in winter because they are rich in vitamin C which helps prevent cold and flu viruses. But on top of those health benefits, fruit and vegetables actually  make you happier, which is great in winter when SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) strikes. (source)



4. Watch movies that take you someplace warm. Some of my favorites are Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Just Go With It, and The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants. The first two are partially set in Hawaii and portions of the last one take place in Greece. When I watch these movies I feel like I am in a beautiful, tropical place. Plus Hawaii and Greece are near the top of the list of places I want to go.
Take a look at some of these beautiful screenshots to make you feel all warm and happy.


Forgetting Sarah Marshall - Hawaii


Forgetting Sarah Marshall - Hawaii


Just Go With It - LA


Just Go With It - Hawaii


Just Go With It - Hawaii


Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants 2 - Greece

Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants 2 - Greece

5. Embrace the sun when it does shine. On those rare days when the sun chooses to shine even though it's -40, open the curtains. Soak up that vitamin D. Let the natural light in, and try to remember it when the days turn grey again and the sun sets before you even get home from work.



No comments:

Post a Comment