Monday, October 28, 2013

We Can't Stop and We Won't Stop BUYING BOOKS!

I have an addiction to buying books. Seriously. I think I love buying new books more than I love actually reading them. Or else I just can't keep up. People just keep writing and publishing books I want to read faster than I can read them.
This month I got 7 new books. I have a problem.
Here's the haul:



Way back in June my parents got me a gift card to Chapters Indigo. It was for my birthday in July (since I was in Spain on my actual birthday). At the beginning of September I finally used the gift card and made an online order of five books. Since one was a pre-order I didn't get the order until last week (when that final book came out.)
My chapters order was: 


The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides. I read and absolutely loved both The Virgin Suicides and Middlesex earlier this year, so I can't wait to read this one. 


Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins. I read Anna and the French Kiss a couple years ago and reviewed it. This book takes place in the same universe, but with different characters, but I've heard characters from Anna make a guest appearance? I am intrigued. I don't really like this cover, though, since it doesn't really go together with the edition of Anna I have. Oh well.


Attachments by Rainbow Rowell. I read and loved Eleanor & Park. I meant to write a review of it on here but never got around to it, I guess. I love the cover for this one. I wish I had this edition of Eleanor & Park so it'd match, but sadly I have this edition instead. 


The final book in the order (and the reason I only got the order last week) is Allegiant by Veronica Roth. It's the final installment in the Divergent series. I love Divergent. (Read my review here) I reread both Divergent and Insurgent last week. (I finished my re-read of Insurgent) last night. So tonight I am going to hunker down and read this last one. I'm excited!

So that was my Chapters order.

Last weekend I travelled to Saskatoon to visit some friends. (I actually tagged along with Stephen and one of his friends who were going for another reason.)
I went to one of my favorite bookshops (out of everywhere, not just Saskatoon): Mcnally Robinson.
So of course I had to get a couple books. 



I got The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupery (the translated version.) This edition is super gorgeous, it is all bronzey and shiny. I had actually never read the book and always wanted to so I snagged this beautiful book while I was there. I read it to Stephen and our friend on the drive home and I loved it. Such a beautiful story. Also, our hostel that we stayed at in Nice was called Saint-Exupery Gardens. 


The other book I got at Mcnally Robinson was Rookie Yearbook Two. I have been reading Rookie mag for a while now and love it. If you don't know, Rookie mag is an online magazine edited by Tavi Gevinson, who was 16 when she started it. It is aimed at young girls and the writers, illustrators, interviewers, etc. are most/all young women.
After the first year of the magazine, they made Yearbook One which was a selection of the best stuff from that year.



Yearbook Two is a selection of the best stuff from the magazine from June 2012 to May 2013. The bookstore had both but I just got the latest one. Maybe some other day I will get the first one.


This book is flipping gorgeous, by the way.

Finally, I just had to buy this one this month. This is the only book I don't really have an excuse for (I didn't have a gift card, I wasn't visiting my favorite out-of-town bookstore). I just had to get it after watching her interview with Jon Stewart


This book is Malala Yousafzai's story. She is a young girl from Pakistan who was shot by the Taliban in 2012 because she stood up for her own and other young girls' right to an education.



She was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. She is an advocate for education and an incredible person and I can't wait to read her story.

So.. my to-read pile has grown yet again. But I can't help it. I just really love books.

What are you excited to read this fall?
If I were to post a review of any of these books, which would you most want to see reviewed?

No comments:

Post a Comment