Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Happy Birthday, Dad!

My dad's birthday always falls near or on Father's Day and I usually give him a twofer gift and I usually feel bad about it even though he doesn't care. He gets teased in our family around holidays because his birthday and Christmas wish lists are always filled with things like "for my children to be happy" and "to get to hug my grandkids" and "spend the day with the love of my life" and sappy things like that. Like..ok, dad, I'm happy. Can I buy you a book or something?
Just kidding.
Anyways, today, in honour of his birthday (and Father's Day this upcoming weekend) I wanted to share a song I wrote for my parents.

I wrote this song a couple of weeks ago. The chorus was inspired by a conversation I had with my sister where she told me about a recent phone call with my parents where she was very upset about something and my mom just stopped the conversation and asked her if she was okay and I told my sister about a similar phone call I'd had a week or so before, when in response to a text I'd sent, I got a phone call with both of them on the line, asking if I was okay.
Then my sister and I talked about how you can always tell if something is either exciting or sad because my parents will call and they'll both be on the phone. Or if you call and my mom suspects that what you have to say is important, she'll say, "Want dad to pick up?"

The videos I used are old family videotapes I filmed off the TV (which explains why the date seems to float in sometimes), a couple recent photos and clips, and at the very end when it shows all the photos, I filmed that in my dad's home office. His office is filled with hockey paraphernalia, (mostly from his favourite team - the Detroit Red Wings) that is covered up by photos of our family.

Happy birthday, Dad. I love you.



Lyrics after the jump.

You have always encouraged me to be whoever I wanted to be.
Especially as I got older, you said you'd be happy as long as I was happy.
If I were to write a list down of everything you've ever taught me
you'd have another book to publish and we all know you're already too busy.

When you call and ask if I'm okay
It doesn't matter how good or bad my day has been.
I know everything will be alright
'Cause I have you in my life.

Thank you for teaching me how to read and to appreciate the beauty around me,
to be thankful for what I have, and to always take a minute to laugh.
If I were to change my mind about the things that I wanna do
I know I couldn't fail 'cause your support would get me through.

When you call and ask if I'm okay
It doesn't matter how good or bad my day has been.
I know everything will be alright
'Cause I have you in my life.

Thank you for filling our house with love. You made it such a good place to grow up.
Thank you for teaching us how to work and for letting us choose our own involvement in church.
If I were to ask my siblings, I'm pretty sure that they would agree
that we are super lucky and we're probably the best damn family.

When you call and ask if I'm okay
It doesn't matter how good or bad my day has been.
I know everything will be alright
'Cause I have you in my life.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks kidlet!

    If success is measured by family, I am the richest man in the world!!

    Lots of love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! We ARE the best damn family! :)

    Love you Daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With happy tears streaming down my face, I feel like the wealthiest woman on earth.

    Thank you, Dani. You and your siblings have richly blessed us.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete