Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Music I've Been Digging Lately

1. Father John Misty - Fear Fun

This is J.Tillman/Josh Tillman/Joshua Tillman/that guy who drummed for Fleet Foxes for a few years' newest moniker.
My friend got me the album for Christmas and I really love it and have been listening to it pretty much since then (though not as constantly as he has been).
Check out: Every Man Needs a Companion

2. the Django Unchained soundtrack

I saw the film shortly after it came out and got the soundtrack about a week after that. It's really cool. Quentin Tarantino individually selected each song, as he does for all his films' soundtracks, but there's a note in this one about the recordings:



The soundtrack is a good mix of spaghetti western-style older songs, hip hop, and audio clips from the movie.
Check out: Unchained (The Payback/Untouchable) - James Brown and 2Pac 
(a mashup of those two songs and dialogue from the film)

3. Local Natives - Hummingbird

This album just came out last week so I've only been listening to it for less than a week but I really like it. I liked it the first time I heard it and it's been growing on me since.
I think it's a solid follow-up to Gorilla Manor and I was very excited for it to come out since when I met these guys 2 years ago they said they were going to get back in the studio right away. ...'bout time!
Check out: Breakers 
(they released it as a single before the album came out and I agree that it is a good indication of what the album is like and it really has their 'sound'. Echoes of it return later on the album, as well, so this is a good intro to the album.)

4. Ben Gibbard - Former Lives













This album came out months ago but I just got it last weekend so I've only been listening to it for a few days but I really like it.
I love everything Ben Gibbard touches (Deathcab, Postal Service, his 2003 solo release with Andrew Kenny  - Home, Vol V.) so I bought the album as soon as I saw it.
I really like it. It's pretty much what you'd expect it to be but I'm not looking for Ben to change sounds or anything. I think even if he tried to (like if he sang a song somebody else wrote) he'd still put too much of himself into it, his voice is too distinctive.
Check out: Bigger than Love (feat. Aimee Mann, I believe, though not credited on the album.)
and, as a bonus, check out this live recording of You Remind Me of Home (from Home, Vol V.)
and see if you agree with my boyfriend that Ben looks like a muppet when he's singing live. (he claims the top of his head moves instead of his bottom jaw, making him look like a muppet. Though, to be fair, he also had shaggier hair when we saw Deathcab live and he kind of flopped his head around a lot.)

What have you been listening to lately? Any thoughts on any of the music I mentioned?

No comments:

Post a Comment