Friday, January 4, 2013

Holiday Highlights & Christmas Book Haul

     We got two weeks and two days off school for the holidays, which has been AWESOME.
     We went home for Christmas and got to spend lots of time with family and friends from near and far. Lots of relatives and friends from out of town were home for Christmas so we got to spend time with people we don't see often which is one of my favourite things. Another highlight for me was being able to spend lots of time cuddling my one-month-old nephew! (and playing with my older nephews...they don't like cuddling as much).
     We spend lots of time playing games, eating, drinking, eating, watching movies, eating, visitting, and eating with lots of people we love!
     Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were perfect because we got to spend time with both families and I don't feel we missed out on anything from either family, so that was great.
     Boxing Day I went shopping with my mom and sister-in-law.
     We saw lots of movies and mostly spent our time relaxing and socializing.
     New Years Eve was spent in a pub with close friends and then when we got bored around 11, at a friend's house to ring in the new year.
     We have to go back to work on Monday but I am ready. I am actually getting kind of excited to go back (#dork).

I am not a big fan of resolutions because of the stigma involved with not keeping them, etc, but I do think the new year is a good time to re-evaluate and make goals.
In 2012 I had a lot of big goals and they all mostly happened.
(I got my degrees, moved out, and got a job.)

This year I want to:
read more books (hopefully I'll have a book review up next week)
seek out new music (I want to do a bit more music recommendations/reviews on my blog this year)
learn to cook more things (I am going to try to make a new recipe once a month or once a week. I don't do much cooking in our house and I want to change that.)

also I want to keep learning lots at my job and getting better at it and I want to travel. (Europe trip is being planned for July.)

Now here is a bit of a Christmas book haul (that's mostly what I got for presents):

Photobucket

Photobucket
I bought Stephen the Calvin and Hobbes box set for Christmas.
(He got me Seasons 1 and 2 of Sherlock! I am excited for special features.)

Stephen's parents got me the book on the left and his sister (who had me for Secret Santa) got me the book on the right. These are both books I asked for.

 Photobucket  Photobucket
His sister also got me this DFW bio. Unfortunately, so did my brother. So I returned the one my brother got me and bought Behind the Beautiful Forevers, which is narrative non-fiction (reads like a novel but is true) about a Mumbai community. I've read good things about it so I am excited to read it.


My brother also got me a gift card so I bought this novel (which I have about 100 pages left of, I am hoping to post a review of it next week) and a nice Moleskine journal.

I hope you've all had an excellent holiday and are looking forward to the year ahead.
Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment