Monday, December 3, 2012

Spin My Dreidel, Baby (Update Blog)

This blog comes to you in six parts. (It's an update blog)

Writing/Creating:
I quit NaNoWriMo about half-way through the month. I just kind of lost interest in my story and didn't feel like beating a dead horse or switching stories so I just gave up, and I didn't even feel that bad about it, honestly. I liked the story I did write, so I may turn it into a short story at some point.
I have been enjoying our newly set-up music studio and playing music more. I wrote a poem last week.
I have a couple blog posts planned - there will be a cool one at the end of this week.

Christmas:
We set our tree up and decorated the weekend before last (still in November, I know.) We have an artificial tree so we can set it up early.
This past weekend we finished almost all our Christmas shopping. We went to a whooole bunch of places in the city on Saturday and got it all done in one day, we just have a few little things left to pick up. Yesterday I wrapped everything and finished almost all the Christmas cards.
We also bought the movie Elf on blu-ray for $9.
And we bought After Eight hot chocolate.
so yeah, that's all pretty great.
I am really looking forward to the holidays because we get two weeks off school and lots of my favourite people will be in the same place as me which doesn't usually happen so yay!

Family:
Last week my new nephew was born and I got to meet him on Saturday and he is awesome and I love him lots. So that was great.
My sister is coming home this weekend to meet him so I get to see her and she and I are going to decorate our parents' house for Christmas.
on Saturday all of my family and Stephen's family are coming out for supper to see the renos we did on our house and just hang out and eat and have fun.
It's going to be very hectic and there will be a lot of people in one place but our house is not small so I think it will be fine.

Car:the main bummer in my life right now is that I found out today that it will cost over $1000 to put winter tires on my car which I desperately need because currently my car gets stuck in my shoveled driveway. I am thankful I don't have to drive to work every day or commute but it really sucks because there are times when I need to drive places....and usually it requires going on a highway. And I went into debt to get this car when I had been debt-free so I was/am pretty upset.

Work:
work is going great. I love my job. Today was awesome because my class got to interview a local(ish) author over the phone. They came up with all the questions themselves and took turns asking her and were very respectful listeners and they learned a lot and really enjoyed the experience. It was very fun and I'd never done anything like that before so it was pretty cool.
Afterwards one of my students who is a poet and writer said she was very inspired to write and was going to go home to edit a story of hers which is great.
I also found out I get to do some professional development and attend a training session which is great because it will make me better at my job and it will look nice on my resume.
In general I am really enjoying teaching and most days I am very happy and can't believe I get paid to do something I love.

Overall there is not much to complain about, things are great.

That was only 5 parts so here is a video of Rashida Jones and Jimmy Fallon changing the lyrics to popular songs to be about holidays.  The title might make more sense now.
*EDIT: for some reason Fallon's show or NBC or somebody made the video private on youtube and the only links I can find are for hulu which only works in the USA.
You can watch a weird edited version with annoying people talking before and after here. Sorry. :(

Have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment