Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Other Dani Turned 200! (A bit ago...)

I recently made my 200th blog post, without realizing it. (My 200th post was this one, lol.)
So in the spirit of forgetting to make a big deal about things and then promoting yourself after the fact,
I went back and chose some of my favourite posts that I've done.
These are things that I am really proud of and surprisingly not embarassed of even though it's been a while since I made them.
Here are 8 of my favourite posts on The Other Dani. (in no order other than chronological..I think?)

1. With Arms Outstretched
This was one of my first blog posts and I wrote it about an amazing person who I have been lucky enough to be friends with since I was 12. The title comes from this song which is important to us.
I still like this post because I still love this person and want her to know it forever.

2. Ferris Bueller Is My Hero
This post is kind of silly. My favourite part was putting in all the links to the images. This is actually one of my most popular posts because of how many people google image search "ferris bueller's girlfriend", weirdly. Anyways, I think this is a fun post about some iconic movies that I love.

3. Winter Work Clothes - How to look good when it's cold out
This was the first fashion post I ever did and I worked really hard on it: finding the images, planning the outfits and taking photos of myself with my new gorillapod tripod haha. Even though some of the photos are a bit blurry, I am really proud of this post. I thought of the idea by pretty much googling the title and coming up short. I thought "hey, I have a blog. I can make that." and I did. and lots of people have found it and hopefully found it helpful and inspiring. So yeah, I am proud of this one.

4. Happy Birthday!
This was for my sister's birthday. It was right after she told me she was going to move 5 hours away from me. Shortly after I posted it I saw it printed out at her house. It means a lot to me because it meant a lot to her. And she's the best.

5. Taylor Swift Medley
This one might be a bit dorky but it is the first time I put a video of myself singing on the internet (publicly, anyway). I worked hard on arranging the medley after I noticed some similarities in chord progressions and intervals in some of her songs (Speak Now and You Belong With Me, particularly). I made this and put it up and people liked it and I still think it's my best cover, because of the unique arrangement.

6. U.F.O
This post just sums up the last few years for me. It came out of a lot of uncertainty and feeling like life would never be what I wanted it to be and realizing maybe that was okay. Basically, it felt like I had to grow up a lot to write this. The video I made for the song was something I was really proud of, too. Sadly, it got taken off Youtube and Vimeo because of copyright but I am planning on covering the song myself soon and putting the video to that so I can reupload it.

7. Explanation of My Tattoos
A very personal explanation of something that means a lot to me emotionally. Basically, who I am as a person inked on my back and written about on here.

8. We're So Cool, We're so cool, we're so cool
Similar to #s 1 and 4, this post is special to me because it's about a special person who I've been friends with since I was 15. The title is taken from a song again. (this one).
I had the #1 post on this list in my mind when I wrote this one. They are both about important people and both titled after songs, but whereas the first one is about a special friendship you know will last forever, this one for me was more about a friendship that is so special to you you worry it'll be like sand in your hand and if you squeeze too hard you'll lose it. The person I wrote this about is an amazing person going off into the world to do great things and when I wrote this I knew he was leaving again for good and I just felt like I was losing him.
There is always a part of you that wants to believe love can conquer all and you can be friends with people across great distances, but on the brink of growing up sometimes it's scary to think your relationship will never be the same again. It's hard to imagine us friends as adults simply because we never have been before.
I know we'll be okay but that's the place this post came from. Like some of the other posts on this list, it's important to me because the person it's about is.
Also I like the way it's written.

So, there you go. Thanks for following my blog if you do, and caring about it, and giving me an excuse to create things and make words and music and pictures and respond to the world. I would probably do it if nobody looked, but it's a bit more fun knowing somebody might.
THANKS,

Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment