Monday, May 21, 2012

My May Long Weekend

This blog is becoming more and more personal but that's okay. I had a great long weekend with most of the people I love and I want to document it here so I remember it.
I always wish that everyone I love could live on the same street as me or could live in my house with me, and this weekend I got to see lots of people from all over so that was great!

     I had the day off Friday because there was no school. I headed into the city and went for coffee with a friend and had a great catch-up. We hadn't seen each other in a few weeks so that was nice. That night I went for supper with my sweetie and we went to visit some friends who are like a second (or I guess third) family to us. One of our best friends' brother and sister-in-law moved back to Calgary recently and they were in town for the weekend, so we spent the night visitting and laughing with the family.
     On Saturday, we got some errands done for our trip and had a bit of a shopping afternoon. My major buys were a dress for my convocation party and Legally Blonde for $5 on DVD. (I have it on VHS and the second one on DVD, now I own the first one, too! One of my favourite movies from when I was young and still great today.) Saturday night Stephen and I went for supper with my parents and then he went to watch a soccer game on TV at a friend's house and I met up with one of my best friends from out of town. She was in town for the weekend and we just did nothing together like old times when we lived in the same place. We wandered around Superstore, watched a crappy movie at her friends' house. It was fun.
     Sunday morning she came over for brunch with Stephen, my parents, and I. Then my family went to my nephew's second birthday party, which was hectic and crazy but fun. We ate food all afternoon and had birthday cake, then left to go to Stephen's sister's 20th birthday dinner. We ate Indian food and more cake, laughed, visited, sat outside enjoying the nice weather, then last night went to our friend's house again to see our out-of-town friends one more time before they went back to Calgary.
     Today we slept in (which we did every day this weekend) then planned out our tentative schedule for Sasquatch (which acts we are going to see), and drove home. My parents, brother, sister-in-law, and nephews came out in the afternoon. We played soccer on the lawn, played catch with a little football, ate burgers and veggies and skyped with my sister and brother-in-law and got a tour of their new house which they moved into this weekend. We ate watermelon and then went out and made s'mores over the coals of the bbq. We sat on the deck and enjoyed the weather. my nephews ran around on the lawn, played more soccer and made up games like little kids do. We took lots of photos and had a great time.
     When it was time for them to go home my oldest nephew cried because he couldn't play Zelda with Stephen, so my parents said they would drive him home so he could play for a bit since his bedtime is later than his brother's.
     My parents and I walked around the yard and they helped me plan out the garden I'm going to plant and taught me about all the plants that are in the yard (the ones they knew about), while Stephen and my nephew played Zelda. We sat out on the deck and visited and enjoyed the nice weather

Now everyone is gone and the house is all clean and we are going to eat watermelon and watch Legally Blonde! It was a great long weekend and next weekend will be even better!

     Weekends like this make me so happy and grateful for all the amazing people in my life who live all over. I am so lucky to be able to spend time with them, feed them, give them big hugs, make silly faces on Skype, celebrate 2nd and 20th birthdays, tell stories, and mostly laugh with them all.

As Flo Rida says, "gotta love the life that we livin'". Today I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment