Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Memories [BEDA 8]

Happy Easter!

When I was a child we often went to my mom's hometown for Easter to see her family. Sometimes we went at Christmas instead and would spend Easter at home, but I have many memories of spending Easter at Grandma and Grandpa's house, or at the farm doing an egg hunt with my siblings and all my cousins.

Today I was thinking about last Easter when we went to Alberta to see my grandma in the hospital after she had just been diagnosed with cancer. Instead of going to grandma's house like we used to, we stayed at my auntie's in Edmonton. It was a sad time and didn't feel much like a holiday.  That was the last time I saw her.

I remember on Easter Sunday, the napkin they gave Grandma with her lunch was bright orange. I made her an "Easter bonnet" out of a straw and the napkin and she wore it...probably just to humour me. She was still the same silly grandma even when she was sick.

Holidays are a time for remembering, it seems, and the older I get the more I realize that traditions aren't important, where you are isn't important, but it's about the people.

This year I had a couple Easter dinners with different parts of my family, and enjoyed playing games and watching movies with family and friends, and making Easter crafts with my nephews.

Most people only know their grandparents in childhood, and I was lucky enough to know mine into adulthood. I think about how lucky my nephews are to have all their grandparents live nearby, and how special the times they share are.

I hope everyone was able to have a great long weekend and spend some time with important people. 


Right to left: Dave, Lisa, and I hunting for eggs in our old house.

No comments:

Post a Comment