Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Top 5 Songs About Mortality

Yesterday I received news that a family friend had passed away.
And then I took a 3-hour long bus ride by myself.
So I had plenty of time to listen to music and think about things, which are two things I really enjoy doing.
I often love music not only for the music, but for the lyrics.
Here are five songs that I think sum up my feelings about death pretty well.

5. The End - The Beatles
"And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make."

4. To Go Home - M. Ward
"God it's great to be alive, takes the skin right off my hide.
To think I'll have to give it all up some day.."


3. On The Radio - Regina Spektor
"This is how it works: you're young until you're not,
you love until you don't, you try until you can't,
you laugh until you cry, you cry until you laugh,
and everyone must breathe until their dying breath."


2. In the Aeroplane Over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel
"And one day we will die and our ashes will fly from the aeroplane over the sea.
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun
and count every beautiful thing we can see."


1. Do You Realize - The Flaming Lips
" Do you realize that you have the most beautiful face?
Do you realize we're floating in space?
Do you realize that happiness makes you cry?
Do you realize that everyone you love someday will die
And instead of saying all of your goodbyes let them know you realize that life goes fast,

it's hard to make the good things last,
you realize the sun doesn't go down.
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round."

No comments:

Post a Comment