Friday, December 16, 2011

Why I Love Teaching Part 2

Okay, so I know I've really dropped the ball on blogging this month, but.......Christmas! and...internship! and...life! and stuff...

This is just going to be a super quick post because a few things happened today that I want to remember.

This is an extension of this list. 

This week was my last full week. I only have 4 days left. Tuesday was my last day with two of the four classes I taught over the course of the semester, and today was my last day with my one grade 12 class who I've been with since the beginning (I started teaching them before Thanksgiving.) and I was pretty sad. So here are a few nice things that happened.

One of my students said "Sucks to be us next week." and I said "Why?" and she said "Because you won't be our teacher anymore!"

Then, later, one of my students said, "This class is going way too fast today!" and her friend chimed in, "I know! This is the only class I was looking forward to today and it's already almost over!"

and at the end of the day, we had a wind up party for the kids who were in the musical and I got to see them all again and one of them was so excited that I was going to come to her English class on Monday. She said their teacher told them and they all got really excited that I was going to come watch their class (a lot of the kids in that class were involved with the musical but I don't teach them.)

and here are some of the highlights of the feedback I asked my students to give me this week:
"You really engage with the students and try to help as best as possible."
"You're a good teacher. I'm thankful I had you."
"I didn't really like anything in this class but if I had to pick something it would have been having you teach us."
"I just want to thank you for being a teacher, a friend, and a good lady that treats us with love."

I had a good day and I am going to try to keep these things in mind while I am marking 40 research essays this weekend.

Coming this next week: an update on my book project, a video I am going to make, my top 10 albums of the year (either this coming week or after Christmas, closer to the end of the year) and a recap of my year.

No comments:

Post a Comment