Friday, December 30, 2011

My Favourite Albums of 2011

This is different than last year's list. These are my ten favourite albums of the year. They didn't necessarily come out this year.

10. Pink Friday - Nicki Minaj (2010)
     I really like this album, but I didn't get too into it until this year. Not sure why. No, it wasn't the "Super Bass" phenom, I liked it before that. But for my birthday this year my friend did do an ironic cover of "Super Bass" for me, which cemented Minaj's spot on my albums of the year. Check out this song.

9. Codes and Keys - Deathcab for Cutie (2011)
     
This album came out right after we saw them at Sasquatch so I was kind of determined to love it no matter what. And I actually really enjoy the album. "Stay Young, Go Dancing" was my summer 2011 slow jam. I think they did a good job of still sounding like themselves but not just repeating the same old boring stuff. And it was cool finally seeing them live. Check out the song I already mentioned. The video is lame.

8. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Kanye West (2010)
     
Great album. It came out at the end of last year so I didn't really get into it until this year, but I really like it. There's not a single song on here that I skip. I put this on in lieu of Watch the Throne because I only wanted to do 10, but I really like WTT, too. I did a mashup of Runaway this year. Also, when we were at Sasquatch, people kept singing "Can we get much higher?" and then a bunch of other people would respond "So highhhh" and it was really funny. Check out the whole album but I guess especially check out this song.

7. The Soft Bulletin - The Flaming Lips (1999)
     
They were the main reason we went to Sasquatch. We wanted to go before but once they were on the line-up it was a done deal. This was also the year I got my tattoo, and this was the album they were performing at Saskquatch, so this album was kind of the soundtrack to my year, even though it's super old.
Check out the whole darn thing. No links.

6. Teen Dream - Beach House (2010)
     
I didn't get into this until this year because we saw them at Sasquatch this year and it was awesome. I think the first time I heard this record was actually at a friend's birthday party, when we listened to it on vinyl, before Sasquatch. It's a beautiful album, and when I worked downtown in the summer I would always listen to it on my breaks while I walked around the park. Listen to this song and fall in love.

5. Gorilla Manor - Local Natives (2009)
     
Again, got into it because of Sasquatch. I downloaded the album because I knew they were gonna be there and the first time I listened to it was on the drive to Alberta over Easter to see my grandma for the last time. "World News" was my first jam off this album, but closer to the end of the summer and the beginning of internship, "Who Knows Who Cares" became really significant for me. Also, I met these guys! They were doing a signing and we got them to sign a CD and poster and chatted with them and they were all really nice and had excellent mustaches. One thing my boyfriend said about this band that I think it kind of unique is that every single member is totally talented. Like, if any one of them started their own band it would still be a pretty good band. but they are all in a band together and it is just excellent. Check out this song.

4. Brothers - The Black Keys (2010)
    Got into it this year, it's an awesome album. Saw them live Canada Day long weekend and it was a really good show. Read about it here. Check it out.

3. Helplessness Blues - Fleet Foxes (2011)
     
Awesome. Despite these guys not being at Sasquatch, this was kind of the soundtrack to our road trip, so whenever I listen to it I picture mountains and highways. I already linked to this song a couple posts ago but it's really really good so listen to it again.

2. 21 - Adele (2011)
     
Obviously everyone's album of the year, all the songs are the best. In an Entertainment Weekly article I read, Julia Roberts wrote a little blurb on Adele and talked about how we all feel like her mom and we want to protect her from vocal issues and mean boyfriends. It was cute. You've heard the whole album I'm sure, unless you live in a cave or in the ocean or something. It's awesome. I love it. Everyone loves it.

1. This Year - Meghan Tonjes (2011)
     
I really really love this album, and I've blogged about it before but I got it just at the start of internship and "This Year" was my anthem. I love all the tracks, but especially that one. Here it as she first posted it on youtube, this isn't the album version, but it's perfect because she wrote it New Years Eve 2010 and tomorrow is New Years Eve 2011 so maybe this can be your anthem for 2012.



Happy New Year, may 2012 be the best year yet!

Let me know your top ten of 2011 and why they are important to you in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment