Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Why Are You Up!

Good evening,
this blog comes to you in 4 parts. (Vlogbrothers reference)

Part 1: Life Update   
 I've been busy interning at a high school since the end of August and I don't think I've talked about it too much online. I'm teaching English, it's going pretty well. I had a stressful week last week when I had to plan a bunch of stuff all in one week. The only major problems I've had have been with me being too hard on myself about stuff. Other than that, it's all going well. I am there until Christmas.
     The one crappy thing about it is that it is basically a full-time job that I don't get paid for (and in fact have to pay for.) my program is the only program at my university that has an unpaid internship as a requirement. It's pretty bunk. And I'm not really working (I have a couple sources of income but no real "jobs") this semester, so I am quickly going broke, which is unfortunate as I have a long list of things I would like to be saving money for, such as:
-my last semester of school (I currently don't have enough saved up for tuition, nevermind textbooks and a parking pass),
-a new car (still haven't got a new one since I totalled my old one in January. driving my parents' extra car.), 
-moving out of my house (and city) in January (which ideally would involve me having a car and money for gas and stuff to be able to commute into the city every day),
-going to Europe in July (my boyfriend and I are planning to go to Europe for 3 weeks in July when he finishes work as a celebration of my convocation.)
   But first, I need to finish internship so that I can convocate. and then I need a job after Christmas.
   Until then, I am going to be super broke, which means I will be able to afford gas and the occasional dinner/night out, but no new clothes or books, and probably no Christmas presents for my loved ones. Sorry, loved ones!

Part 2: Book Challenge
I am currently at 38 on my book challenge, which is pretty good. Part of the purpose was to track how many books I actually read in a year, because I never have before and I thought it'd be interesting, and part of it was to motivate myself to spend more time doing something I enjoy (reading). I think I have made more time for it, especially when I've been busy and have wanted to make excuses.
If I read one book a week for the rest of the year, I will be at 49. So, I'll just try to stick to that and read an extra book, too!

Part 3: Halloween
   Halloween should be fun this year. I am going to a house party on the Friday before Halloween, a concert/costume party on the Saturday, having a Halloween party in my Sunday School class on the Sunday and dressing up for school on the Monday.
The only problem is my costume. My boyfriend and I are doing a couple costume (which is going to be a surprise for some people who insist they don't want to know what it is beforehand so I can't say on here) but my costume doesn't really make a good costume by itself. So I need an idea for something appropriate and fun that I can wear to the Sunday school party, and to school on the Monday. Please leave suggestions in the comments for me.

Part 4: NaNoWriMo
 I would love to do NaNoWriMo this year, but I can't do it during internship, especially because for most of November I am going to have a full course load (teaching 4 classes) and the school musical I've been helping with is in November, and it would just be way too stressful.
   I am thinking of doing NaNoWriMo in January, maybe. I will be done internship, hopefully moved out (though we shall see how that pans out), and taking 5 classes and hopefully working part-time, but I will be much less busy, and one of my writer friends will be done school in January, so maybe I can convince him to do it with me. I think it would be fun, since January is usually the worst month of the year for me. All the excitement of winter is over and the days are still short and bitter cold, and the only holiday is over at the very start of the month so it is a long month. I wouldn't mind sitting inside writing all the time.

That's all the parts!

If you made it this far, I'll reward you with a funny anecdote that will also make the title of this post make sense.  While I was writing this, I got a text from my friend who is studying abroad this semester, in England.
All it said was "Dani! J'aime tu!"
I knew he was travelling in Spain this week, so I responded, "<3 te amo!"
and then, realizing it was after 7 and there is probably about an 8-hour time difference, I said, "what the hell time is it where you are? Why are you up?"
He said, "It's three in the morning here in Valencia Spain, I haven't slept for 48 hours and I'm drunk. Why are you up!"
I said "because it is 7:30 pm on a Tuesday."

So there you go. I am sitting at home (actually, I'm lying down.) blogging and eating a peanut butter cup blizzard, and my friend is drunk texting in Spain. The world is a funny place.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment