Friday, July 29, 2011

Summer Work Clothes - How to Look Appropriate When It's Hot Out

     Some of you might remember my Winter Work Clothes blog post from back in February. 
     Well, I decided to make one for this glorious season as well, because I find I don't have very many professioanl summer clothes. I've never really had an office job in the summer before, so I haven't needed to get any clothes and since this is hopefully the last summer I'll ever have to work (since teachers get that nice thing called summer holidays) I really can't justify buying any. 
     However, although my office building is "air-conditioned," it's also over 50 years old so it can get a little hot, and there is NO WAY I am wearing long dress pants and tight button up shirts to work every day. So mainly I've been wearing dresses and skirts, leggings and tunics, tank tops and shrugs. 
     Luckily my office doesn't have a very strict dress code (it's "business casual") but I find myself repeating outfits quite a lot so I decided to make another one of these types of posts to inspire myself and you. Just like before I took some inspiration from photos I found online, and then added my own twist to them. Enjoy!

# 1

This is a simple look. A nice, patterned dress. It's light, comfy, and cool. 

My dress isn't patterned but it is bright purple (which you can't tell from this horrible lighting. sorry.) The perfect blank canvas for all your favourite summer accessories - jewellry, bag, sunglasses, sandals. Whatever you want the focus of your outfit to be, this dress is a nice base to start from. Plus, it's so easy to get dressed in the morning when you only have to slip on one thing!


 # 2
I love the laid-back feel of this look, the neutral colour, and the summery scarf. I always think of scarves as fall/winter accessories, but my friend just gave me a great summery scarf as a late birthday present.

I didn't have a cool linen shirt like Dakota, so I just wore an old t-shirt that clearly needs to be ironed. I probably wouldn't wear it to work, but would sub in a nicer shirt. Also, that little brown braided belt has been a staple in my wardrobe this summer. I love it with shorts, skirts, dresses, anything. It's so cute!


 # 3
Emma Watson is a big fashion inspiration to me. She always looks so cute and we're about the same age so I find she wears stuff that's very age-appropriate for me. 

I actually wore this outfit to work one day without having seen the Emma picture above, but I really like it. 

And if you want to go out after work and it's too hot for the cardigan, you can ditch it and still have a cute outfit!


# 4
The look I'm re-creating here is Pam's. You can't see her outfit too well because of the baby, but it's a patterned dress and bright yellow short-sleeved cardigan.

I wore a bright red, blue, green, yellow, and white summer dress, and a royal blue short-sleeved cardigan. 

I love this look. Summer is a time for cute dresses in bright colours and bold patterns! I am totally going to rock this look at work!

And now for some a couple of tips for dressing for work in the summer.
Like I said, summer is a time for cute dresses in bright colours and bold patterns, like this one! I got this dress for $2 at a used clothing store on 50% off day. It is just awesome! Don't be afraid to be bold!
If you're like me, most of your leggings are black, brown, grey, or navy. But I have this one pair that is different shades of blue and patterned like a watercolour flower painting. I got them as a hand-me-down from a taller friend who got them as a gift but they were too small. I love them! They are great to pair with neutral coloured dresses/tunics.

Pro tip: If you are wearing leggings instead of pants (which is a good idea because they are much cooler and comfier -cooler as in temperature haha) make sure your dress/tunic/shirt actually covers your butt, becasue if it is too short that is just not a good look.

And those are my summer office wear tips! Do you have any tips/suggestion/inspiration? Leave it in the comments! Also, let me know which outfit was your favourite!

No comments:

Post a Comment