Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Let Me Be Your Everlasting Light

     I went to The Black Keys on Thursday night, in Saskatoon. I went with my boyfriend, his sister, her boyfriend, his brother, and his brother's friend. It was a fun show.
     This was my first rock concert since Sasquatch and I was pretty excited that we even got tickets. Months ago, when tickets went on sale there was a lot of drama because the tickets for this show went on sale at the same time as Elton John tickets for Regina and Saskatoon. I was upstairs buying my mom Elton John tickets for the Regina show for her birthday, through Ticket Master and had no problems. My boyfriend was downstairs on my computer trying to buy 6 tickets to The Black Keys show, and Saskatoon didn't go through Ticket Master, they just went through the TCU Place website, and it is not equipped to handle that much traffic. So we had 6 tickets on the orchestra level, good seats, and then as we were entering the credit card info the site crashed. This was at 10 am when tickets went on sale. We refreshed the page for an hour and a half, and called TCU Place (but it was busy the entire time) and eventually around 11:30, we saw people updating Facebook saying the show was sold out so we texted our friends letting them know we couldn't get tickets because the site crashed, and then all of a sudden the site went back up and we got 6 seats together on the first balcony. So that was really annoying but I was happy we even got seats since so many people wanted to go and couldn't.

     The opening band was Cage The Elephant, and I didn't really like it. It was so LOUD. All the time, one dynamic, constant attack of noise, and not in a good way. It was mostly just annoying me and making my ears ring. But they did the job of an opening band. They made me excited for the main act. Once they were done I was thinking "I can't wait to hear some music." Harsh, maybe, but if you were there, you understand.
     

     After Cage The Elephant's set and before The Black Keys started everybody was out at the bar loading up on drinks, and getting crazy. There was a young hippie-looking guy who came and sat by my boyfriend (who wasn't there for the opening band, although someone else was.) And he leaned over and said "Concert of the summer right, here, hey?" and my boyfriend said "Well....I went to Sasquatch...soo.....this'll be pretty good." and the guy got all sad and just went "Oh." And when Stephen told me about it I said he was being kind of an a-hole and he said "As if I wanna talk to that guy all night!" But him trying to set boundaries didn't work because halfway through The Black Key's set the guy sat down just to ask Stephen what he thought of the show so far, then stood back up.
     Also, the people behind us were crazy. They kept yelling things like "f*** yeah Black Keys!" and "Best concert of my f***ing life!" and every time the singer said Thank You they yelled "Thank you!" and when they said they had one more song for us the guy behind me just yelled "Noooooooooo!" It was pretty hilarious/annoying.

    
     The Black Key's set was really enjoyable. They had a crazy-good light show. The lights were different for every song. Sometimes they were backlit, sometimes there were spots on them, of different colours, the lights changed with the music. 


     They played probably 10 older songs (that I'm not too familiar with) and then they started playing through Brothers. When they played "Everlasting Light" a huge disco ball came up out of nowhere, spun for the song, then disappeared again.



     Here's a rough video I took of it. My camera battery died at the end there and I had to switch it so the video's cut off but you get the point.



     Every song, more things got unveiled. They brought out two other musicians to play through the tracks on Brothers with them. Two screens came out, then disappeared. Then another two came out on the other side, then dissappeared. For one song, all four screens were out. Then there were these Christmas lighty-tea-lighty things draped all over and I don't know how I didn't notice them before because they were there the whole time but it was pretty magical when they lit up. I was like, "were those there the whole time?".

   
     They played through Brothers pretty much in order, except for the slow songs. They didn't play "Unknown Brother", "Never Gonna Give You Up", "Only One" and probably some others I can't think of, but it was a really great show.
     Then, for the very last song, they bust out This. Again, it must have been there the whole time and I don't know how I didn't see it when the whole stage was lit up at some point.

    
     Pretty epic. When they left, the lighting guy lit up "Black" "Keys" "Black" "Keys" so people were chanting it, then they came back for an encore and played 2 or 3 more songs. It was cool.
    Also, I bought a T-shirt that says "The Black Keys Are My Brothers" on the front and has a picture of a hand shake on the back, and it's pretty sweet. (I didn't take a picture of it yet, sorry.) I wore it to work yesterday and a lady said "I don't get your shirt." I said "The Black Keys are a band and Brothers is the name of their album. It's a joke." and she said ".....Oh....okay."
     The rest of my long weekend was good, I will probably post some pictures of fireworks tomorrow or Friday, so hurray for that.

Books Read So Far in 2011: 21
Currently Reading: I'm re-reading the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants series because Ann Brashares wrote a new one, that's set 10 years later or something and I bought it so I want to re-read the series to lead up to the new one. I started yesterday and I have about 50 pages left in the first one. I'm hoping to do a book review of the new one once I finish, since I haven't done a review in a while.   

No comments:

Post a Comment