Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's Resolution

  I am making a new year's resolution for 2011. I don't normally do this but a couple of things have inspired me this past year to make one. And normally, if I decide I want to resolve to do something I just do it but this is something that has a deadline and measuring it chronologically is part of it so I am starting it on January 1, 2011.
     The first thing that inspired me was a video. Around this time last year I started watching videos on this youtube channel. I went back and watched some old videos and I came across this video in which a girl resolves to read 50 books in the year 2008. I think she did it but you can see in this video that she cheated by reading some children's books.
     The second thing was this blog I started reading this year which sort of inspired me to create my own blog, and also inspired my resolution. She has a really cool thing on her blog - a page that shows what she's currently reading. It looks like this. 
     I thought it would be a good idea to start keeping track of all the books I read in a year, just to see how many it is. 50 is a nice number, so I am going to try to read 50 books in 2011. That means there are only going to be two weeks where I don't have to finish a book.
     I won't be taking any English classes all of 2011 because of  how my schedule is so that is both bad and good. Bad because there will be no outside factors forcing me to finish a book by a certain time, and good because it will leave more time for leisurely reading. I am not going to say that I have to read 50 new books, re-reads count. And if for any reason I have to read a certain book (like say I have to teach a novel and I've never read it before or something) that counts. But picture books and magazines and stuff don't count.
     And I think I'll say that I need to complete 50 books in 2011, because books I start but don't finish shouldn't count, and books that I'm currently reading but not yet finished should count.

So here's the tl;dr version: I resolve to finish 50 books in 2011.

Now those of you who read this blog know that I don't always finish everything I start *coughNaNoWriMo2010cough* but the main point of this resolution is just for fun, to see how many books I read in a year, and to encourage myself to read all the books on my shelves that I haven't read yet.
    I'll be putting a "currently reading:" and a "total books read so far:" at the end of each blog post, and possibly writing some book reviews on here, or letting you know when I start a new book. I think this will be fun!

Tell me in comments if you made any resolutions, what they are, or why you didn't make any if you didn't.

Happy New Year, everyone! Good luck with your own resolutions and have a great 2011!

1 comment:

  1. I have resolved to be more generous and keep my body healthy in a variety of different ways. I have also resolved to read this blog often. :)

    Good luck with the books!

    ReplyDelete