Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My Favourite Albums of 2010

*Disclaimer: The following post contains music snobbery and personal opinions that some readers may find offensive. (But probably not)*

     I was making a mix tape ("mix CD" and "iTunes playlist"just don't sound as good) for a friend and I wanted to put songs I loved in 2010 onto the mix for him. And this got me thinking about all those "Top 50 Albums of 2010" lists I saw a few weeks ago. (Like this and this.)And I kind of wanted to make my own list...not 50, of course, I'm not that ambitious, but maybe a top 10 list?
Here you go:

10.  This was a toss-up between The Roots - How I Got Over, Ghostkeeper - Self-titled and possibly some other contenders but mainly I just didn't feel like choosing. Insert your own 2010 album here, I guess.

9. The xx - Self-Titled.
     Even though it came out in 2009, I first heard it in 2010 and they won the Mercury Prize in 2010 and played a lot of festivals and stuff so you know, it was still big this year. A great record but I didn't put it higher up on the list because I felt that would be cheating (even though there's another one higher up that didn't really technically come out in 2010 but because of my personal love of that particular record, it deserved a higher up spot despite its release date.)

8. The Black Keys - Brothers.
     My boyfriend put this onto my iPod, introducing me to this band. It's just a fun, funky album.

7. Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More.
     A friend gave me this album for my birthday and I hadn't heard of these guys before. It's a great record, but it didn't make it higher up on this list because while I enjoy listening to it I haven't really made a personal connection to the album.

6. Sarah Harmer - Oh Little Fire.
     I got this album for my birthday this summer a couple weeks before I saw her live. Obviously she isn't on any of the hipster top album lists but she makes it onto mine because she's always been one of my favourite artists, I thought it was a good album, and I enjoyed the show she put on at the music festival I saw her at.

5. Jonsi - Go.
     I've heard people say that the singing in English ruins it but I disagree. I went for many bike rides to this album over the summer and until you have listened to "Animal Arithmetic" while riding a bike, looking at all the trees and green grass and sunshine and blue sky, don't talk to me about this album. On a less snobby note, my friend saw Jonsi live in New York this summer! How cool is that?

4. Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock Record.
     I saw them live again this year, and met Kevin Drew (an anecdote you can read about here if you missed it) so it was a big Broken Social Scene year for me. One of my favourite bands ever, probably my second favourite Canadian band (number one favourite makes an appearance on this list in the appropriate number one spot) so of course this album is on the top ten, even though it wasn't my favourite album of theirs. (Obviously. You Forgot It In People is and will always be my favourite.)

3. Broken Bells - Self-Titled.
     The Shins is my favourite band so anything James Mercer touches, I will shell out money for, basically. This album just had to have the number 3 spot because I started from number one and worked my way down, and it just has to be top three because of James Mercer, mostly. But it's a really great album. If you haven't seen it, they did this thing to promote the album, where they had kids listen to the tracks and rate them. The kids didn't know that James and Brian were the musicians and they said what they liked and didn't like about each song and it's pretty funny. If you live in Canada you might not be able to watch them all because of stupid Vevo but you can at least watch some here.

2. Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros - Self-Titled. 
     Even though this album technically came out in 2009, I first listened to it in 2010, and the full-length release, Up From Below came out in 2010 so it counts for the list. "Home" was the anthem of the summer. There are a lot of great tracks on here, I really like this band. And they played a lot of big festivals this summer and I heard from people who went that they killed. Sadly I didn't see them live this year but I enjoyed the record.

1. Arcade Fire - Suburbs.
     I don't care about people who say this record is overrated. I saw them on tour this year and it was the best show I've ever been to, a stellar album, every single track works as part of an album and as a single, I have nothing bad to say about it. Except I wish I could see Arcade Fire live again in the immediate future.

Do you agree or disagree with any of my choices? What are some of your favourite albums of 2010? What's something you got into this year that you never liked/knew about before? What albums are you excited for that are coming out in 2011? (I'm excited for the new Iron & Wine and the rumour [that I don't believe] that a new Shins album might come out.) Feel free to make your own lists in comments.

1 comment:

  1. 1. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
    2. Gorillaz - Plastic Beach
    3. Interpol - Interpol
    4. Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock Record
    5. The Besnard Lakes - Are the Roaring Night
    6. The Black Keys - Brothers
    7. Wolf Parade - Expo 86
    8. The Roots - How I Got Over
    9. Peter Gabriel - Scratch My Back
    10. Trent Reznor - The Social Network

    Haven't listened to yet but would probably be on this list:

    Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
    Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz

    ReplyDelete