Thursday, December 9, 2010

Favourite Holiday Songs and Films

This girl made a video yesterday about this and I thought it was a good idea...so I stoled it. No, really I'd been thinking about doing this earlier this week.
Favourite holiday songs and films.

Songs

I love:
-"Carol of the Bells/Ukranian Carol" (The David Foster version especially but anything really.)
-"My Grown Up Christmas List" (especially the Natalie Cole version.)
-"Christmas Is All Around" from Love Actually. Favourite line: You gave your presents to me and I gave mine to you/ I need Santa beside me in everything I do. Epic.
-the entire Boney M album The Most Beautiful Christmas Songs of the World (so titled not because they are claiming to have the best songs in the world, but because the album has songs from all different cultures) because I grew up with is and it is just awesome. and all you haters and skeptics can suck it.
-"The Christmas Song"
-"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"
-All the classics, really - "White Christmas", "I'll Be Home For Christmas", "Winter Wonderland", all those.
-I love "Baby It's Cold Outside", especially the Zooey Deschanel version from Elf because I love her voice.
-I like that "Mary Did You Know" song - the version by Kalan Porter. When it came out my mom really liked it so I've listened to it a lot and it's pretty.
-The Barenaked Ladies holiday album, particularly "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings" feat. Sarah McLachlan
-speaking of Sarah McLachlan, her cover of "Song For A Winter's Night" always feels very Christmasy to me although it's not specifically a Christmas song.
-same with "The Prayer" by Celine Dion and Andrea Bochelli - one of the only Celine Dion songs I like.
-"Step Into Christmas" by Elton John
-"Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney
-"Happy X-Mas (War Is Over)" by John Lennon & Yoko Ono
And of course, my all time favourite song EVER not just for Christmas but year round....
"All I Want for Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey.

Films
I love:
-Love Actually
-any of the Harry Potter movies - they all have Christmas in them and because they're some of my favourites I love to watch them when I have a large chunk of free time (Christmas and summer)
-While You Were Sleeping - if you haven't seen this, go see it now! You can borrow it from me if you know me. Srsly. It is the greatest. It's funny, sweet, charming, sad, Christmasy, and there is a globe light in it.
-Elf
- A Muppet Christmas Carol (Henson + Dickens = how could you go wrong?)
-Mrs. Santa Clause - this awful made-for-T.V. Christmas musical starring Angela Lansbury. Love it. Know all the songs. 'Nuf said.
-A Christmas Story
And almost every year I re-watch this VHS tape we still have from when I was a kid (yeah, we're old school.) with a Flintstones Christmas Special (the one where they sing Which One Is The Real Santa Claus? if you ever saw it...and you can actually watch it HERE if you want. I love the internet!), a Saved By The Bell Christmas Special (yeah, I like Saved By The Bell. whatever...and you can watch this one HERE in multiple parts.) , this little cartoon version of The Twelve Days of Christmas, something called Christmas Every Day (also a cartoon) and a cartoon version of The Nutcracker (after looking around on the internet I've realized this was called The Nutcracker Prince and starred Kiefer Sutherland. Weird.) It's probably horrible from an outsider's perspective but I love it because of nostalgia.

*For those of you who actually followed the many, many links on the post, I hope you enjoyed the candy canes. (Like Easter Eggs, but Christmas-y....)

What are some of your favourite holiday songs and films?

1 comment:

  1. Songs:
    "The Christmas Song"
    "Merry X-mas (War is Over)"
    "The Little Drummer Boy (Peace on Earth)"

    Films:
    Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
    Home Alone
    A Muppet Christmas Carol
    A Christmas Story

    ReplyDelete