Monday, November 22, 2010

Deathly Hallows Pt. 1 Film Review

Okay I know a lot of you don't really care about Harry Potter, but whatever. I have a photo post coming up later this week with some wintery pics I took earlier this week, so you can look forward to that and just ignore this. 

When I went to the film, I wore this sweet Harry Potter shirt that I got in 2007 when Deathly Hallows came out. I worked at Coles then, and it was a big deal. And this shirt is awesome, because it has all the release dates of all the books on the back and it says "10 years of Magic" in French, and everything about it is great.

I also painted my nails Gryffindor colours. Yeah.

Follow the jump to read my (raving) review of the film. 

*SPOILERS*


I loved this movie. I thought it was the best one yet. It was a great adaptation. I loved that they took lines directly from the book (something I don't think they've done since the 2nd film.) and I felt that most of the changes they made (whether added things or details left out) actually made it a better film, more cinematic, furthered the plot, or developed characters. Whereas with a lot of the other film adaptations, I've felt that added stuff and details left out have just made the film more rushed/added more action/helped them fit everything into the time frame of the movie.
Because they are making 2 films, I think they are being a lot truer to the book and I really appreciate that.

Okay, now to talk about some specific parts of the film (in a totally random order)

I loved the scene with Hermione and Harry dancing. I know it was awkward and cheesy but I like how it showed an aspect of their relationship that isn't often shown in the movies. In the books, a lot of their closeness comes from Hermione understanding Harry and knowing what he's thinking when he doesn't talk about it. That's hard to convey in a movie so what ends up happening is a lot of angsty, confession-type scenes with them where she is all concerned about him and he doesn't want to talk about it. I liked how they showed Harry taking the role of cheerer-upper for a change. And as well as giving the characters some relief for a moment it also gave the audience a break from the seriousness of the film.

I loved Luna's line, "Oh, I've interrupted deep thought, haven't I? I can see it growing smaller and smaller in your eyes," at the wedding. I don't remember that being in the book. Whether it was or not, it's a great line, and very Luna.

I thought the Harry/Ginny scenes were so awkward but I loved Fred creeping into the kitchen. It was so funny, and a good way to take away from the 'seriousness' of their relationship.

Some things I am worried that they still haven't really explained/dealt with: Harry still has blue eyes. He's had blue eyes for seven movies now and I want to know how that will be addressed. The mirror. The mirror just showed up in the movie and he's been looking at it and in Malfoy Manor he asked it for help but there was no explanation of where it came from. Non-book-readers must be confused. Other than that, I can't think of anything. I think they will talk about Dumbledore's personal history more in pt. 2 so I'm not worried about that.

I loved the use of the radio, I think they'll use it to bring in Potterwatch in Pt. 2 but I loved how it served as score, almost, for their camping scenes. And I loved how it was almost part of the trio because it affected them in different ways, and at the same time it brought in the outside world to remind the characters and the audience that the war was still going on, and to kind of push them to finish their mission.

The Godric's Hollow scene with Bathilda Bagshot was so creepy. A lady in the row behind us got up right after it and my boyfriend joked that it was because she had just crapped her pants. I was so scared.

The Ministry of Magic scene was probably my favourite scene. I loved seeing different actors playing the characters. The three actors had the facial expressions down, especially Ron's guy. And the scene where 'Harry' is in Umbridge's office and he sees Dumbledore's picture with an X through it and it goes to a close up of the guy's face and he's crying...that was so emotional. I started crying, I thought it was just a beautiful scene and a really lovely way to show his mourning without words.

I loved the Seven Potters scene, I thought it was so well done. I want to watch it again and slow it down and watch Daniel Radcliffe act as all the different characters. (DVD feature hopefully?)

I thought the opening scene was very good and served as a great introduction to the film, preparing the characters and the audience for them leaving. I loved the addition of the Obliviate scene, it was so touching and well-done, and I loved the added detail of Bellatrix carving Mudblood on Hermione's arm in the torture scene. I read somewhere that that was Helena and Emma's idea and I think that is pretty cool.

I think that's about all I wanted to say. I loved it, it's my new favourite. I can't wait to watch it again.

NaNoWriMo word count so far: (I'm not going to win, I haven't even been writing I'm so swamped with school work.) 19002

What did you guys think of the movie? Favourite scenes/lines? Things you wished they'd done differently? What are you most excited for in part 2? I am most excited for...the Gringotts break-in, and the Kings' Cross scene. Oh, and what did you think of the split? I thought it was a good place to split it. It was logical and still suspenseful enough to be aggravating. Tell me your thoughts in comments!

1 comment:

  1. I was so terrified of Bathilda, and absolutely bawled my eyes out when Hermione removed herself from her parents memories and all the photos - Emma Watson also did a really good job of conveying sadness when she had to Obliviate the Dementors in the coffee shop.

    You forgot to mention how awesome it was when the locket opened up and the evil spewed out into the forest - a very cool effect and a good scene altogether.
    Agreed on all the rest of your favourites, including the Luna line. :)

    ReplyDelete