Tuesday, September 28, 2010

With Arms Outstretched

  Hey,
  While this whole blog thing is still new and exciting, I am really enjoying posting frequently, so sorry for people who are trying to read and aren't keeping up. Yesterday I said I might post some autumn-y photos I took, but I thought I'd split up the photo posts a bit, so if people are reading, they can have nice little breaks between posts that are a lot of text and just look at some pictures. So, today I want to respond to something my friend said to me earlier this week.

"Earlier this week I had to give an interview [for a class] on somebody influential in my life,
and I talked about you."

  Now, that is one of the nicest things anybody has ever said to me. And I was so dumbfounded that I don't feel I really reacted properly. I rarely ever take the time to actually think about the people in my life and how they have influenced me.
 I mean, I try to take the time to think about why I love and appreciate the people in my life, but I don't really think about the influence other people have on me. This friend has influenced my life quite a lot and Thanksgiving is coming up in a couple weeks  and it's fall so people are thinking about change, so it seems like the right time of year to make a sappy kind of post like this.

  To my friend,
  I would not have gotten through high school without you. You were my crutch when we were wee freshmen who didn't know anybody else, and you were my best friend the whole time, helping me get ready for dances and big events (helping me pick out clothes, doing my hair and make-up for me); putting up with my angst (as trivial and important as it was); boosting my crappy car out of the school parking lot; going for long walks; throwing things in the 'creek;' going for coffee; driving fast and swearing when we were mad; visiting me at the mall on breaks from work; lending me clothes, books, music, advice; sharing stupid and hilarious inside jokes with me.
  Then in university, you were my crutch again when I didn't know anybody, and we still had the same important things in common - talking about friends, romance, books, poetry, music, art...etc.
 Now we are older and our definition of friendship has changed so much, along with our definitions of all the other important words, and I'm so happy we're still friends.
    You get me in a way that nobody else does, and I love the bond we share. I feel like we've grown up together, going through the same things (to some extent) and looking at things the same way, which is just so great to have.
  I wouldn't have gotten through my teen years without you, and there are some days that I still don't think I could get through if I didn't have you for a friend.
  I don't know who or what I would be if we weren't friends. You have been very influential in my life, too.
I am so proud of you and where you're at in your life, and where you're going. I hope you know I will always support you and wish the best for you. Keep being your awesome self and kicking ass at life!
  Love you!
                     -D

"The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances;
if there is any reaction, both are transformed."
                                                -Carl Jung



1 comment:

  1. Perfect title.
    Love you too.

    - Lennon

    ReplyDelete